In order to support implementation of SDG14 UN held a conference
July 3rd, 2017 | No Comments
UN held a Conference for the support and implementation of Sustainable Development Goal number 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development will be summoned at United Nations Headquarters in New York coinciding with World Oceans Day (8 June), to support the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14. The Fiji and Sweden government have the co-hosting duties of the Conference. The Conference aims to be the game changer that will opposite the decline in the health of our ocean for people, planet and prosperity. It will be solutions-focused with engagement from all.
1) Identify ways and means to support the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14;
2) Build on existing successful partnerships and stimulate innovative and tangible new partnerships to advance the implementation of Goal 14;
3) Involve all relevant stakeholders, bringing together Governments, the United Nations system, other intergovernmental organizations, international financial institutions, non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions the scientific community, the private sector, humanitarian organizations and other actors to assess challenges and opportunities relating to, as well as actions taken towards, the implementation of Goal 14;
4) Share the experiences gained at the national, regional and international levels in the implementation of Goal 14;
5) In order support the follow-up and review process of the 2030 Program for Sustainable Development by providing an input to the high-level political forum on sustainable development, in accordance with resolutions 67/290 of 9 July 2013, 70/1 of 25 September 2015 and 70/299 of 29 July 2016, on the implementation of Goal 14, including on opportunities to strengthen progress in the future;
The Conference is comprised of plenary meetings, partnership dialogues and a special event celebrating World Oceans Day.
The Conference adopted by consensus a concise, focused, intergovernmental agreed declaration in the form of a “Call for Action” to support the implementation of Goal 14 and a report covering the co-chairs’ summaries of the partnership dialogues, as well as a list of voluntary commitments for the implementation of Goal 14, announced at the Conference.
Published in: Volume 08 Issue 28
Short Link: http://www.technologytimes.pk/?p=17231