An Introduction to Ball Valve: Its Manufacturing Process and Importance
Most people who are not working in the manufacturing industry do not know the importance of ball valves. For starters, we use valves in our everyday life. It is one of the most vital assets that helped the economic development of the countries.
Ball valves are in a variety of applications and availability in the market. As valves are in demand, valve manufacturers design and engineer valves to make an effort to control production and quality. Moreover, a China ball valve is produced in constant improvement in its quality and performance.
What is a Ball Valve?
Ball valves are closure units in a spherical shape that controls the flow of media. They are part of the quarter-turn family of valves along with butterfly valves. The most common type used in the industry is the two-way ball valve. It enables the fluid flow to travel in a linear direction from the inlet to the exit.
Ball valves are known to be reliable sealants. Its body is made out of steel, making it durable for any applications. Thus, it makes the best choice for industries that deal with gas applications.
Importance of Ball Valve in the Manufacturing Industry
There are several applications in the market and industry that use ball valves. Most ball valves are used for industries that deal with gas. Their reliability is suitable for processing, storing, and transporting gas. The leak protection feature of ball valves makes them beneficial to gas industries. Moreover, there are other applications wherein ball valves are needed.
Chemical industries use bubble-tight seal ball valves as they can handle highly corrosive materials. A ball valve can handle the chemicals throughout the mixing process. The fitting of the ball valves makes the manufacturing process more manageable and efficient. Operators do not worry about the risk of any threat. ball valves are securely tightened and closed that there is likely no chance of being exposed to dangerous gases and fluids.
Aside from bubble-tight valves, double block and bleed valves (DBB) and double isolation and bleed valves (DIB) are used in chemical manufacturing industries. The difference between the two is how the valve seals handle the pressure. DBB valves can seal both sides against pressure, meanwhile, DIB valves can only seal from one side. Yet, both valves can provide isolation in upstream and downstream directions in extreme conditions.
Using ball valves in any manufacturing industry is an advantage. They have a longer life span and still work efficiently. Moreover, ball valves do not require much maintenance.
How Is a Ball Valve Processed?
The process details in producing ball valves are maintained and controlled to build stable and high-quality ball valves. Manufacturers give all their effort in the quality control of their production processes.
- Engineering and Design of the Ball Valve: Manufacturers have to design and engineer their products as some need modification. With engineering and designing ball valves, operators can ensure that the products conform to the requirements and standards.
- Raw Materials: As per requirements, manufacturers need to use raw materials. Some products vary from the materials it needs. Thus, the materials have separate storage to avoid misuse of the material types.
- Cut and Forge: Ball valves are in different sizes according to their requirements. Perfectly shaping the valve includes heating it at high temperature to forge and cut it. Most industries use forged ball valves as it has an outstanding tightness and strength that prevents leakage.
- Trim: Ball valves need to be in the right shape; manufacturers use trimming molds to remove the flashes and burr of its rough body.
- Sandblast: Sandblasting machines help wash out the roughness on the valve bodies. It provides a clean and smooth surface of the valves.
- Machine: Ball valves undergo multi-axis machines to obtain the correct thread and dimensions from the technical drawing. It is a critical process for product quality. It ensures whether the product reaches the standards.
- Surface Treatment: Manufacturers have to follow environmental regulations from the government. Thus, treatments are given to the products to ensure it does not harm the environment.
- Assembly: It is the production line where all the spare parts of the valve are assembled to its body.
- Quality Test: Each ball valves will undergo quality testing to ensure there are no leaks. 6 to 8 Bar pressure air is introduced to the valve for 24 hours. The bigger the valve, the longer the testing period. After the test, the valves are checked for leaks.
- Packaging and Transportation: Operators inspect the finished ball valves before packing it. After this, the products are suitable for delivery.
The mentioned steps are the general process for manufacturing a ball valve. Some manufacturers may have an additional step in their process to modify and produce better versions. It would be best to have further inquiries on the manufacturers.
Ball valves are meticulously manufactured to maintain their reliability and quality in the industry. It is a great help in the industry to have valves as it controls the process of the applications. The demand for ball valves is high, and we use them every day. Thus, it is best to have a ball valve that meets the standard and requirements. Check on the China ball valve productions if it suits the needs of the manufacturing industry.