In order to get maximum yield of spring maize, farmers should adopt recommendations of expert institutions.
Maize is an important grain crop in Pakistan. A considerable yield increase found due to high yielding varieties and latest production technologies, but still there is less average yield per acre as compared to other developed maize producing countries.
Maize plant is single stem, susceptible and can complete its growth in short duration. Weak late growing, and diseased plants contribute towards low yield. Therefore, it is necessary to maintain it’s per acre recommended population to get maximum yield.
In order to get maximum yield of spring maize, farmers should adopt recommendations of expert and institutions. Experts urged that:
- farmers should always use certified, clean, healthy, disease resistant seeds which have 90 percent germination rate.
- land should prepare thoroughly for good seed germination. For this purpose, it’s better to use chisel plough 30-45 days before sowing to break hard pan.
- level the land with laser land leveler for efficient use of water and to get good yield. 3-4 ploughings followed by planking and also use rotavator to crush the stubbles/ clods of previous crop.
- For good germination, favorable soil temperature should be 29-32o Low temperature (below 10oC) during germination influence the process of seed germination that leads to non-uniform crop stand.
- Best time for sowing of spring maize is end of February.
- Maintain the soil fertility by adding fertilizers according to soil analysis. Low soil fertility leads to poor crop stand and poor grain filling which ultimately reduce the yield.
- For ridge sowing use 8-10 kg seed per acre clean, healthy, with 90% germination rate. Treat the seed before sowing with 2g Binomil (50WP) per kg seed and also treat the seed with 7g Amedaclopird (70 WS) per kg seed in order to prevent the seed to be attacked by sucking insects.
Different methods for sowing spring maize
- After light irrigation rows having distance 2.5 feet, dibbled (one seed) the treated hybrid seed at the distance of 6 inches (35000 plant population per acre) and in case of synthetic varieties, dibble the seed at the distance of 7 inches (30000 plant population per acre).
- Dibble the seed at south side of ridge so that seed get maximum sunlight resulted in good germination
- For uniform seed germination, sow the seed at the depth of 1.5-2 inches. By doing this seed can absorb desirable water quantity. Seed absorb 30% water of its weight before germination
- Spray the herbicide (pre-emergence) within 24 hours of sowing to control the weeds
- Maize crop needs more water as it is fast growing crop and have larger leaf size. Its roots can grow 120cm deep into soil and usually 60cm dense. At vegetative stage single plant use 2-3 liters of water per day
- Avoid excessive irrigation, excessive water leads to yellowing of leaves, slower the plant growth
- If water stands in the field more than 3 days’ crop can completely diminish. Therefore, there should be proper drainage in field
- Visit the field regularly