One new case of COVID-19 has been detected in New Zealand managed isolation facilities, Minister of Health Chris Hipkins announced on Tuesday.
New Zealand’s confirmed case total is now 1195, which is the number reported to the World Health Organization.
Speaking in Auckland outside the Jet Park Hotel, which is being used as an Auckland quarantine facility, Hipkins said the person was a woman in her 60s who arrived on June 30 from Pakistan via Doha and Sydney.
“She has been in managed isolation at the Novotel in Christchurch, and tested negative at her first test around day three of her stay, then tested positive around day 12 of her stay in isolation,” Hipkins said.
“One previously reported case is now considered to have recovered from COVID-19, so the total number of active cases in New Zealand remains at 25. There is no one in New Zealand receiving hospital-level care for COVID-19.”
It has now been 74 days since the last case of COVID-19 was acquired locally from an unknown source.
Security and mental health support for returnees
Hipkins said the deportees who have returned to New Zealand are being co-operative and relevant security measures have been put in place.
Mental health support is available for people going into managed isolation and quarantine facilities, he added.
Hipkins said people who illegally left mandatory isolation would face charges where appropriate – and there would be a “zero tolerance” approach to escapees.
Originally posted at : newshub