Periodically Accepting Applications To Funded International Internship Program Which Provides Outstanding Young Scholars
To experience a safe, democratic society and friendly people with the best healthcare and world-class technology, plus remarkable cuisine and landscapes.
Why Academia Sinica?
To enrich your research capacity in the government-funded and all-English institute that enables you to connect the best scientists worldwide. Academia Sinica’s Taiwan International Graduate Program (TIGP@AS) provides over 100 funded PhD scholarships in 12 interdisciplinary programs ranging from physical sciences to life sciences. TIGP@AS is now accepting applications around the world from now on to February 1st, 2021 (GMT+8).
TIGP@AS’s 12 PhD programs
The 12 interdisciplinary programs within TIGP@AS are in cooperation with 11 top domestic universities as follows. You can click on the links to find out more details. 1. Chemical Biology and Molecular Biophysics 2. Molecular Science and Technology 3. Molecular and Biological Agricultural Sciences 4. Bioinformatics 5. Molecular and Cell Biology 6. Nano Science and Technology 7. Molecular Medicine 8. Earth System Science 9. Biodiversity 10. Interdisciplinary Neuroscience 11. Sustainable Chemical Science and Technology 12. Social Networks and Human-Centered Computing
- TIGP is under the supervision of Academia Sinica, a government-funded research institution as the national academy of sciences and the policy think tank.
- TIGP, in cooperation with 11 top research universities in Taiwan, including National Taiwan University (Rank #1 in Taiwan), provides all-English teaching and research environment, superior scientific training and cutting-edge facilities and technologies.
- TIGP@AS offers competitive financial support for its students. All admitted students enjoy a monthly stipend of NTD 34,000 (about USD 1,100) for the first year. For those who perform well, stipend will be extended to the 2nd and the 3rd year. In subsequent years, financial support will come from the thesis advisor. Besides, full-time TIGP Ph.D. candidates or students who have passed their qualifying exams with distinction are eligible to apply for the TIGP@AS Research Performance Fellowship. Awardees can receive an additional NTD 6,000 per month for one year.
- TIGP regularly holds Travel Grant Award for encouraging students to join competitive global symposiums as well as Distinguished Lectures taught by academic and entrepreneurial masters, including Nobel Laureates. Other international exposure opportunities include attending seminars abroad, doing short-term research projects abroad, and participating in international meetings such as Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting. 5. To facilitate first-year students’ quicker adaptation to the local environments, TIGP@AS provides free-of-charge Mandarin language courses at the entry-level and a convenient and affordable fully-furnished dormitory. All the students of TIGP@AS will find their experiences at Academia Sinica and in Taiwan not only personally rewarding but also culturally enriching.
How to Apply?
Application is entirely free of charge and should be completed through the TIGP Online Application System before February 1st, 2021 (GMT+8).
- Bachelor and/or Master of Science Degree
- English Proficiency (Tofel iBT 80, IELTS 5.5 or TOEIC 785)
- GRE (General test & Subject test)
- Academic Transcript (for coursework completed after high school)
- Three Letters of Reference
- Statement of Purpose
International Internship Program (TIGP-IIP)
TIGP@AS also periodically accept applications to funded International Internship Program which provides outstanding young scholars, who have interests to explore Ph.D studies, a great opportunity to see what Academia Sinica and TIGP@AS have to offer. During the 2~3 months internship, interns can come and stay in the on-campus dormitory in Taipei to experience Taiwan’s best research environment, to meet top-notch scientists and to utilize state-of-the-art research facilities. Applicants can apply through an on-line application system, which will be open three times a year for spring, summer and fall terms.