Health benefits of Lemon
A lemon is a fruit that is best known for sour taste and use in food items. The juice of the lemon is about 6% citric acid which gives it a sour taste. The distinct of sour taste of lemon juice, it is a main ingredient in juices and diet. Lemon comprises high amount of calcium, magnesium, vitamin C and potassium. It also contains minor amount of vitamin A and iron. Lemons were first known to be affective in scurvy which was very common disease in sailors in 1747. Egyptians also eat lemons and consume lemon juice to protect themselves against a variety of poisons. Lemons have strong anti-bacterial, anti-viral and immune boosting properties. They are also use in variety of weight loss program owing to being admirable digestive aid and liver cleanser. Lemons hold 22 anti-cancer compounds including limonene. Study have exposed that the limonene oil extracted from lemon vines, help to cure cancer and tumors.
Following are some most significant health benefits of lemon;
- Natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatism. When uric acid is not fleshed out immediately as its excess amount would be deposited in the joints and cause arthritis. Lemon use can stimulate the liver, while simultaneously dissolving in the uric acid gathering within the joints.
- Lemons have keep blood vessels soft and flexible and by removing any firmness, high blood pressure will be reduced. Infect when a lemon is consumed regularly there are less chance of heart failure due to its vitamin B content. Those having high blood pressure should drink fresh lemon water numerous times a day. It is clever idea to drink one glass of lemon juice early in the morning or in empty stomach. This will stabilize your blood pressure, so it should be a part of your daily diet plan.
- Lemon contains citric acid which is effective in treatment of acne. Vitamin C found in citrus fruits is vital for healthy and glorious skin. Its alkaline nature kills diverse types of bacteria identified to cause acne. Lemon contains anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties which fight bacteria causing acne. Lemons act as a chemical exfoliate which removes dead skin cells that causing skin reaction. It also acts as a natural chemical peal since it eliminates excessive oil, firm the skin which will leave your face fresh, smooth and clean
- It may be reasonable for asthmatic patients to test vitamin C on an individual basis if they have exacerbations of asthma caused by respiratory infections. More research on the role of vitamin C on common cold-induced asthma is needed.
- Foods that are high in vitamin C and other antioxidants may help to strengthenthe immune system against the germs that cause cold and flu. One study has indicated that, while vitamin C supplements do not appear to lessen the incidence of colds in a population, they may help reduce the period of a cold. Vitamin C may also help to boost immunity in people who are undergoing extreme physical activity.
- Fruit juices and acidic liquids can impact the enamelof teeth, so it is best to dilute concentrated lemon juice with water or drink through a straw.
- Lemons are high in potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. A high concentration of essential ions is valuable for good heart health, and brain and nerve function.
- Lemon juice encourages healthy digestion in the digestive tract and can reduce symptoms of heartburn, burping and bloating.
- Citrus juices have been verified to preserve the concentration of antioxidants found in green tea, even after the digestion process, so that the body can benefit with the bigger concentration of antioxidants. Just add a squeeze of lemon to your next cup of green tea.
- Lemon water dissolves uric acid, which could be in excess in the body. Excess uric acid in the body can cause inflammation of joints. Lemon upsurges the acidity in your body which can remove uric acid and decrease inflammation.
- Lemons also contain potassium which play a key role in proper functioning of brain. This also increase productivity and happiness throughout the entire day.
- While lemons are commonly associated with being acidic because of their taste, they do not act acidic in the body. Lemons have an alkaline effect on the body after consumption, which give you better digestion and energy for the day. Having a properly alkalized body help you sleep better, suffer fewer colds, have fewer headaches, wake up with more energy, keep your skin youthful and improve your digestion.
- Lemon water has a powerful cleansing consequence on the liver by strengthening enzyme functions. The liver is a central organ that aids the internal organs, digestive system and circulatory system. Warm water with lemon flushes out the toxins in the body and detoxify one of the body’s most important organs.
This article is collectively authored by Mehwish Raza, Dr.Rashad Mukhtar Balal, Mujahid Ali
(UCA, University of Sargodha).