Launch of Green USTB and Environmental Club
Currently, environmental degradation is one of the burning issues and our environment is under extremely stress condition especially due to the drought spells from the last decades. The situation became worse by migration of the several hundred thousand Afghan refugees and is now, further aggravated by mass entrance of the unfortunate Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) of North Waziristan Agency (NWA). There is an emergent need for a planned collective effort not only to arrest further deterioration but make visible and sustainable improvement in the current situation.
Let start from the energetic youth of the University of Science and Technology, Bannu and then go ahead throughout the region. Having in mind this motive we are launching a Society named “Green USTB and Environmental Club” to do the task.
Inauguration of Green USTB and Environmental Club and Plantation Week, jointly organized by Green USTB, Divisional Forest Office (wild life) Bannu and Divisional Forest Office (Forest) Bannu, was celebrated in the Central Library Hall, Main Campus, University of Science and Technology, Bannu.
The programme formally started with the recitation of Holy Quran followed by singing of National Anthem. Professor Muhammad Hassan, Director QEC, presented the Vision, Mission and Goals of the Green USTB. Abdul Haleem Khan Marwat, DFO Wildife Bannu, presented his presentation on Biodiversity and Conservation of Wild Life while Sub DFO (Forest) presented various projects being launched by his department in the area.
Speaking at the occasion, Dr. Faizan, Chairman Department of Botany and Co-coordinator of the society, highlighted the importance of plants to our environment and Biodiversity. He also presented some of the related ongoing projects in his Department. The coordinator announced the names of the office bearer of the three sub-societies while the chief guest conferred badges to them. At the end Plantation Week was inaugurated by plantation of plants in the front of the Central Library by the chief guest, coordinator and the office bearer of the society.
1. Growing environments friendly multipurpose plants.
2. Protection of plants by involvement of students and local community.
3. Sustainable usage of the plants.
4. Collaboration with other agencies/ organizations having similar motives.
5. Arrangement of awareness seminars/ workshops/ conferences on environmental issues.
6. Formation of other environmental sub-societies/ clubs in other educational institutions.
1. Organized a one-day workshop on”Climate Change and Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAS)” in collaboration with Environmental Protection Agency KP Pakistan
2. The Green USTB and Environmental Club in collaboration with Wildlife Department, Bannu Division, celebrated World Wildlife Day at Lakki Crane Centre on dated 3rd March, 2015.
3. Earth Day was celebrated in collaboration with Wild Life Department KP.
4. A training workshop on “Biosafety/Bioterrorism: Human ecological risk assessment” was organized by the society.
5. A one-day seminar on “Biodiversity awareness for sustainable development” was organized in collaboration with Technology Times weekly Islamabad.
6. Plantation Day was marked in main campus of USTB.
7. Anti-Corruption Day was celebrated in the main campus of USTB.
8. Arranged a students tour to Botanical Garden University of Peshawar
Office bearers of the society
1. Prof DrAbdur Rahim Khan Chief Patron (Vice Chancellor UST Bannu)
2. DrFaizanUllah (Coordinator)
3. Najeebullah (President) MSC Botany 4th
4. Sham-ud-Din (Vice-President) MSC Botany 4th
5. Alam Zeb Khan (General Secretary)M.Phil 2nd
6. Ahmad Ali Shah (Finance Secretary) MSC Botany 2nd
7. Sumbal Waseem (Information Secretary) MSC Botany 4th
8. Shaheedullah (Media coordinator) MSC Botany 4th
9. Safiullah Khan (Community coordinator) M.Phil 2nd
10. Adnan KhattakM.Phil 3rd(Event Organizer)
Vice Chancellors message
The Green USTB Environmental Club is actively involved in various curricular and extracurricular activities. The society is working very well and is contributing in making a healthy learning environment in the university. They have successfully organized several seminars and workshops about sustainable use of biodiversity. I appreciate the efforts made by Green USTB and Environmental Club¬for the creation of awareness regarding sustainable use of Biodiversity.
May Allah bestow upon us audacity and vision to make this University a grand place of learning and knowledge.
https://www.technologytimes.pk/launch-of-green-ustb-and-environmental-club/Articlesclub,Environmental,Green,launch,USTB Introduction Currently, environmental degradation is one of the burning issues and our environment is under extremely stress condition especially due to the drought spells from the last decades. The situation became worse by migration of the several hundred thousand Afghan refugees and is now, further aggravated by mass entrance of...Technology TimesTechnology Times firstname.lastname@example.orgAdministratorTechnology Times is Pakistan's First Newspaper on Science and TechnologyTechnology Times